“Yesterday, I saved some important files related to my project on a USB flash drive. But, I accidentally formatted my UBS flash drive while trying to move them on my computer. I know these formatted files are not stored on recycle bin. Can anyone suggest me an optimal and efficient solution to recover data from a formatted USB flash drive quickly?
Nowadays, data loss has become a very serious problem. Sometimes, you may accidentally format your USB flash drive. While in some cases you have to format your USB drive because you are not able to use that device normally without formatting. However, the USB flash drive is a very important storage device used to store essential files, photos and videos. These devices are also used to transfer and take the backup of the most important data. Most of the times, the formatted USB flash drive contains very essential data that users do not wanna lose. Therefore, in this blog, we will discuss how to recover data from a formatted USB Flash Drive safely.
Reasons for Data Loss From USB Flash Drive
As everyone knows, it is very difficult to recover the accidentally formatted flash drive. Simply, when the data is deleted it is not stored in the Recycle Bin because it is permanently deleted. This is known as the deletion of ‘Hard Data’. Some of the reasons for the deletion of data from USB flash drive are discussed below:
- Unnecessary/ Accidental Deletion of data
- Unintentional Formatting of Pendrive
- Unplugged USB drive during file transfer
- Insufficient power supply to the USB port
- The file gets corrupted due to improper shutdown
- Virus Attack may corrupt or encrypt the data
- Loss of files during the cut/paste operation
Methods to Recover Data From A Formatted USB Flash Drive
There are two methods to recover accidentally formatted flash drive which are discussed below:
- Using the Manual method
- Using a Third-Party Tool
Manual Approach to Recover Data From A Formatted USB Flash Drive
There is a built-in management application in Windows, Command Prompt that helps to recover the accidentally formatted flash drive. Here is a complete solution to recover formatted files from USB flash drive:
- Connect your formatted USB flash drive with your computer system
- Click on the search icon and enter cmd
- In Command Prompt, type chkdsk F: /f and press enter (Replace F with the drive letter of your formatted USB drive)
- Next, enter Y and drive letter of your formatted USB drive
- Type F: \ >attrib –h –r –s /s /d *.* and press Enter key
- Check your USB drive and you will find that CMD recovered all your files perfectly.
- After completing this process, users will get all the formatted files on a newly created folder on the USB/Pendrive.
Limitations of Using CMD to Recover Data From A Formatted USB Flash Drive
- It is a very complicated and lengthy process during recovery.
- Recovery of selective formatted files is not supported.
- If you skip any step during this process you will lose your data permanently.
Professional Approach to Recover Data From A Formatted USB Flash Drive
To overcome the limitations of the above-stated method, the user can take help of a reliable Third-party tool named SysTools USB drive Recovery. This tool is a powerful and safe solution to recover the accidentally formatted flash drive. It is capable enough to recover corrupted, loss and permanently deleted data from the USB drive without any hassle. It supports recovery from various formatted external storage drives like exFAT, FAT, and NTFS. The software is user-friendly, therefore, can be utilized efficiently. Some of the benefits of this tool are mentioned below:
Advantages of Using USB Drive Recovery Utility
- Recover corrupted and permanently deleted data from the USB drive
- It is capable to detect multiple external devices at a time
- Allows extraction of selected files and folders from Pendrive
- Advance search option to find desired files and folders
- It has a simple, easy to use and user-friendly interface
- Compatible with all versions of Windows OS without any limitations
Complete Steps to Retrieve Formatted Data Using Third-Party Tool
- Download and install the Utility on your system
- After installing the software, a list of all attached USB drive will appear on the screen.
- Select the device from the list and view its basic details on the right panel.
- Now, the software will display two options- Scan and Formatted Scan.
- You can choose Formatted scan option to retrieve formatted data from the USB drive.
- Next, you have options to either retrieve selected files or complete data.
In this article, we have discussed manual and automated methods to recover data from a formatted USB flash drive. Now it’s your turn you can choose the manual method or third party software. Take the decision wisely.